Friday, July 14, 2006

Bruce Springsteen's Latest Album, Also Pete Seeger

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/BruceSpringsteen/news/index.html

Feeling neither here nor there about Bruce Springsteen over the years, liking his "Born in the U.S.A.", but being mostly indifferent to the man and his music, I'm surprised to find myself thoroughly enjoying some of his latest performances.

First, I saw Bruce perform on Conan O'Brien's "Late Show" and loved his "Bring Them Home" and the extended "Pay Me My Money Down" (which included Conan on guitar, BTW).

Then, I saw Bruce on a 4th of July TV special where he performed yet another version of "Pay Me My Money Down" (clearly a very versatle song, which can be expanded, contracted, varied in regard to length, instruments, number of performers, etc.) A great, fun, lively song, BTW - wonderfully performed by Bruce and his gang. (Not often you see a rock star backed by a sousaphone, BTW. Also a washboard player. But it definitely works for that song.)

Another song - in an entirely different mood - performed on the TV special was "We Shall Overcome." I've long heard (longer than I care to admit, frankly) this old gospel song sung as a belted-out song of determination, of protest, of "black power", of African-Americans hanging in there in order to assert and confirm their civil and equal rights as Americans. Great song sung that way.

But Bruce sung this old gospel song in a different way: as a prayer. More about faith and hope and trust in the Lord. A prayer about overcoming difficulties and looking toward a better tomorrow.

An interpretation which, I was surprised, works every bit as well as the "shout" of the old civil rights movement version in its own quiet, worshipful way. Perhaps it's closer to the original intent of the song? I wouldn't know, but it might be.

I've been thoroughly and pleasantly surprised at how much I've enjoyed all of Bruce's recent music - his best yet, as far as I'm considered.

And I'm so glad he's bringing back these old songs and bringing back this attitude from the '60s. This is something we sorely need now, frankly.

From one of the guys who started it all, and who Bruce is paying tribute to with this "We Shall Overcome" album: Pete Seeger. And, wow, listen to the Original "Seeger Sessions"